Just in time for the holidays, we’re pleased as punch to release a pretty substantial update to the first generation of Roku players. Unless your Roku player is smaller than a hockey puck, this update applies to you. Roku 2 and Roku LT players received an update last week.
There are many improvements and typical bug fixes in this update; below are some of the features in software version 3.1 that we think you’ll appreciate:
- Support for new Amazon channel – The Amazon Instant Video channel has been updated with a gorgeous, new design and you’ll need this update to run it. (More details on this channel will be shared on the Roku blog soon.)
- Mobile support – Added enhancements to support the official Roku iPhone app, launched in the iTunes App Store last week.
- Improved MP4 playback – Improved playback of MP4 files streamed over the Internet and over USB via the USB Media Player channel.
- Shop Roku Deals in the Roku Channel Store – Added the ability to purchase Roku players, accessories and toys within the Roku Channel Store.
- Improved grid performance – Fixed issues when navigating channels that display content in a grid screen.
This update combined with the launch of dozens of new channels in the past several weeks brings a better experience to our earliest Roku players as promised!
The software update will be pushed automatically to all first-generation Roku players over the next 48 hours. If you can’t wait for it you can download it. Just select Settings > Player info > Check for update from your Roku player.
Details on what we updated in the previous software release for first-generation Roku players can be found here.
Happy streaming holidays!