DISHWorld Launches on Roku Platform
At Roku we believe that the majority of TV programming will be delivered on-demand, over the Internet within the next four years. Today we’re a step closer to making that a reality. We’ve partnered with DISH to bring the DISHWorld service with more than 50 international channels to the Roku platform in the U.S. – including the leading Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, Bangla and Brazilian channels.
The DISHWorld service offers a variety of live foreign language programming including sports, movies, news, children’s programs, music, cooking shows, talk shows and general entertainment. At launch programming includes:
- An extensive offering of Arabic channels exclusive to DISH including MBC, Al Arabiya and Al Jazeera;
- Market-leading Hindi channels including aapka Colors, Sony, SET Max, Star Plus, Zee TV, B4U and aaj Tak;
- Willow Cricket and TEN Cricket with eight Cricket Boards and more than 150 days per year of live cricket;
- Seven of Pakistan’s most popular television channels including GEO TV, ARY Digital and Hum TV;
- Four popular channels from Bangladesh including ATN Bangla, Channel I, ETV Bangla and NTV Bangla;
- TV Globo Internacional and PFC which showcase the best Brazilian television programs and soccer events.
If you don’t see the language or programming you are looking for today, DISH plans to quickly expand the DISHWorld service to include additional languages and programming on the Roku platform in the near future. The service also features “48-hour Rewind” that allows customers to watch any show aired in the last 48 hours on any of the channels featured in their subscription package.
Packages start as low as $19.99 per month, and are structured for streaming only – this means there is no authentication, or satellite subscription required.
For us streaming aficionados, this is huge – it’s the first time that programming traditionally accessible only through a pay-TV bundle is made available on a streaming player through a streaming-only subscription. For customers, the DISH-Roku deal means even more choice and accessibility. DISHWorld brings to Roku a comprehensive selection of international programming while Roku delivers an exceptional streaming experience.
The DISHWorld service is available in the Roku Channel Store on Roku 2 and Roku LT players; and is expected to be available this summer on the new Roku HD player (model 2500R). Roku models not listed will not have the DISHWorld service.