Today, we’re rolling out a free software update—Roku software 4.8 for Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players. Like most of our software updates, this release is a combination of improvements, bug fixes, and new features for the Roku platform.
Improvements for Roku users:
- Improved video playback for an overall better viewing experience, including significant playback improvements to the MLB.TV and GBTV channels
- General performance optimizations to make Roku 2 and Roku LT players more responsive in certain situations
- Expanded language support, adding Spanish and German to the user interface (To change your language, just go to Settings from the Roku home screen.)
- Under the hood preparations for some great upcoming channels and features – stay tuned for an upgrade to the Roku iPhone and Android apps!
Improvements for Roku Developers:
- Support for PlayReady 2.0
- High-performance JSON parsing in BrightScript
- Extended List screen and Roku 2D API features
- Increased theme attribute support on many screen templates
The 4.8 software update will be pushed automatically to all Roku 2 and Roku LT players over the next 48 hours and will begin rolling out to new Roku HD players early next week. If you just can’t wait, select Settings > Software update > Check now on your Roku player to update manually.
You can read all about the previous 4.7 release here.