This Sunday is Father’s Day and what better way to spend it than giving Dad control of the remote and so he can watch his favourite films on Roku. Here are some recommendations of the best films available this weekend.
What do you plan to watch? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Robocop - Shiny reboot of the classic 1987 future-shocker with Joel Kinnaman as the critically wounded Detroit detective who is rebuilt by the global OmniCorp as a crime-fighting cyborg. But while his creator (Gary Oldman) fights to keep his personality intact, company boss Michael Keaton sees the human factor as a major bug in his money-making program. Sky Store
- Big Daddy – Dumped by his girlfriend because he refuses to accept responsibility, overgrown adolescent Sonny Koufax adopts a 5-year-old to prove he’s a grown-up. Netflix
- The Godfather – A classic from 1972, when an organized-crime family patriarch barely survives an attempt on his life, his youngest son steps in to take care of the would-be killers. Netflix
- Delivery Man – Two decades after making multiple deposits in a sperm bank, debt-ridden van driver David Wozniak is shocked to learn that he is the father of 533 children. Even more alarmingly, 142 of them have filed a lawsuit to reveal his identity. Although his lawyer friend advises against it, David goes on a quest to see how his kids turned out… Sky Store
- The Monuments Men – With World War II coming to an end and the German army retreating on all fronts, Hitler issues an edict that all looted Nazi treasures – from Picassos to Renoirs – must be destroyed. American art historian Frank Stokes (George Clooney) leads a creaking band of scholars in a race against time to save the art. Sky Store
- Jobs – Ashton Kutcher plays computer genius and Apple founder Steve Jobs in this efficient biopic. Director Joshua Michael Stern traces the rise of Jobs from barefoot college geek to corporate overlord, capturing both his intense drive and vision as well as his occasional bouts of fury directed at unsatisfactory employees. Sky Store
- White House Down – Capitol Hill cop Cale (Channing Tatum) is on a tour of the White House with his daughter when it is attacked by a terrorist group. Led by government insider James Woods, the guerrillas demand a big chunk of the Federal Reserve. However, Cale is determined to save his nipper, protect the president and take the terrorists down. Now TV
- The Internship – The digital age means redundancy for old school salesmen Billy and Nick (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson). Out of touch and out of work but desperate to show they’re not obsolete, they talk their way into an internship at internet giant Google. Now TV
- Olympus Has Fallen – A disgraced Secret Service agent must come to the rescue when Korean terrorists descend on the White House and take the president hostage. Netflix
- Avengers Assemble – An all-star lineup of superheroes — including Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk and Captain America — team up to save the world from certain doom. Netflix