Whether you are new to Roku or a seasoned Proku (get it?) here’s a collection of tips and tricks to help you get the most from your player.
How to connect with Roku and why you should:
Facebook and Twitter are the best places to find out about the latest news, deals, giveaways and fan-friendly campaigns. With nearly 400,000 fans, Facebook is also a great place to get community supported help and find out what’s new with Roku.
How to find the latest channels:
We have over 750 channels spanning 22 categories in the Channel Store. Aside from visiting the Channel Store on your Roku player, the blog is a great way to find out what’s new. You will find in-depth posts on new channels, features and updates, and we make it a point to read through the comments.
Did you know?
- You can transform your mobile device into a Roku command center with our official Roku app for Android and iPhone
- The Roku 3 remote includes a built-in headphone jack for private listening
- You can turn any Roku 2 into a gaming system with our Bluetooth Game Remote
- You can link your Facebook account to your Roku player with the Facebook Photos channel. Just enter your activation code here
- It’s easy to travel with your player. Learn how to take Roku on the road here
- If you have a Roku player with a USB port, you can watch your personal videos on your TV using the Roku USB Media Player channel
- Plex makes it a snap to stream your personal media from a laptop, desktop or media server. Add it here, download the Plex Media Server and stream on
- You can access exclusive Insider Deals on new Roku products from your TV with Roku Deals, found right in the Channel Store
- You can give your friends a great insider discount and get free Amazon Instant Video rentals on us with our Roku Refer-a-Friend program
- There are a variety of unofficial channels that you can install to your Roku player. Get the scoop on all available private channels at Roku Guide
Where to look if you need help
Having trouble playing? We update our FAQ with reported outages, but another great place to check is downrightnow.com. Simply click on the service you want to track and the crowd-powered site will let you know if there are reported issues with service.
We’re here to help! There are several ways for you to reach our customer support team.
Phone Support: 888-600-7658 Monday through Saturday 8AM to 8PM PST.
Email - email@example.com.
We’ll keep this page updated, so check back for new tips and feel free to add your own in the comments. Happy Streaming!
Amazon has improved the very popular Amazon Instant Video channel on Roku. If you’re a movie lover (and seriously what Roku owner isn’t?), you’re going love these new changes.
Amazon has never looked better!:
- The home screen is now split into two areas with viewing choices on the left and gorgeous artwork that highlights a new release on the right. I’m looking at Queen Elizabeth at the moment!
- Once inside a section like Movies you can quickly scroll through titles with the new grid screen format.
- You can search from almost anywhere within the Amazon channel by pressing the options (*) button on your remote control. (Pssst…If you have an older Roku remote without an options button, you can use the new Roku iPhone app.)
- There’s a new category called “Editor’s Picks” in both the Movies and TV sections. If you are struggling with what to watch, give this category a spin.
The channel update is available to all Roku players today. Just make sure you have the latest Roku software. Select Settings > Player info > Check for update from your Roku player. To ensure you have the latest Amazon channel, simply go the Roku Channel Store from the Roku home screen and select Amazon Instant Video.
If you haven’t tried it recently, Amazon Instant Video is a great way to enjoy recent studio releases. Amazon boasts an incredible selection of new movies and TV episodes that makes the service a favorite in my own household. And, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can watch 13,000 movies and TV episodes for free!
Send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.
Happy Streaming Holidays!
Just in time for the holidays, we’re pleased as punch to release a pretty substantial update to the first generation of Roku players. Unless your Roku player is smaller than a hockey puck, this update applies to you. Roku 2 and Roku LT players received an update last week.
There are many improvements and typical bug fixes in this update; below are some of the features in software version 3.1 that we think you’ll appreciate:
- Support for new Amazon channel – The Amazon Instant Video channel has been updated with a gorgeous, new design and you’ll need this update to run it. (More details on this channel will be shared on the Roku blog soon.)
- Mobile support – Added enhancements to support the official Roku iPhone app, launched in the iTunes App Store last week.
- Improved MP4 playback – Improved playback of MP4 files streamed over the Internet and over USB via the USB Media Player channel.
- Shop Roku Deals in the Roku Channel Store – Added the ability to purchase Roku players, accessories and toys within the Roku Channel Store.
- Improved grid performance – Fixed issues when navigating channels that display content in a grid screen.
This update combined with the launch of dozens of new channels in the past several weeks brings a better experience to our earliest Roku players as promised!
The software update will be pushed automatically to all first-generation Roku players over the next 48 hours. If you can’t wait for it you can download it. Just select Settings > Player info > Check for update from your Roku player.
Details on what we updated in the previous software release for first-generation Roku players can be found here.
Happy streaming holidays!
Planning to show off a bunch of pics this holiday season? Put them up on the big screen, grab some ‘nog and kick back from the couch with the new Shutterfly channel. This is the latest addition to Roku’s growing Photo & Video category that already includes Facebook, Vimeo, Picasa and Flickr among other services
The Shutterfly Channel lets you access all of your personal albums, shared albums with friends and family, and even Shutterfly Share sites. It’s a breeze to navigate through slideshows using your Roku remote; just press PLAY on an album or folder to start an automatic slideshow. And, as a bonus feature, you can create Roku screensaver with either your own pictures or pictures that have been shared with you.
My own photos have never looked better. The morning I first showed the Shutterfly channel to my family, we sat around for hours laughing at photos we hadn’t seen in years…because who remembers to look at photos trapped on mobile devices. My parents have Roku players too, so now I can send them albums of their grandchildren to view on their widescreen TVs—without having to post them for the rest of the world to see.
The channel requires you to sign in to your Shutterfly account. If you are not familiar with Shutterfly, you can sign up for a free account at www.shutterfly.com. They have various tools to enable you to upload photos from your PC, Mac or phone. Photo storage is free and Shutterfly does not delete pictures.
Find it in the Channel Store or add it here.
Let us know what you think by writing us at email@example.com or leave a comment below.
We’re just couple of weeks and some change away from the New Year. Don’t worry, I won’t get all misty eyed on you…*sniff…it’s just been such a great year. Anyways, here is the rundown on what’s stream worthy this weekend. As always, if you have a suggestion on the perfect lazy Sunday flick, please post ‘em in the comments. Happy streaming!
Netflix New Releases:
- Peter Pan- P.J. Hogan’s adaptation of the original novel brings the boy who refuses to grow up to life in this family classic (2003)
- Bones: Season 6- Catch up on Fox’s forensic hit with last year’s season, now available for streaming (2010)
- The Dick Van Dyke Show- The classic Emmy award-winning show that defined sitcoms for generations is now on Netflix (1961)
Hulu Plus New Releases:
- Man Up!- In the latest episode of ABC’s man-tastic comedy, Will’s boss overhears him telling a story and promotes him (2011)
- Biggest Loser- The finale has arrived. Tune in to see who is crowned this season’s biggest loser (2011)
- Prime Suspect- The murder of a diamond district denizen leads to… the Irish mob? Elizabeth Rodriguez guest stars (2011)
Crackle New Releases:
- Used Cars- Unhinged lunacy reigns supreme in a raunchy over-the-top satire that may be one of the most unsung comedies of all-time (1980)
- One Too Many Mornings- A clever post-millennial Swingers and Sundance Fest fave that portends good things for its young filmmaker and cast (2010)
- The Ten- Paul Rudd headlines an ensemble of improv comedy’s finest in an absurdist, spoof-tacular take on the Ten Commandments (2007)
Amazon Instant Video New Releases:
- Super 8- In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident (2011)
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins- An uptight NYC man (Jim Carrey) is stuck taking care of six penguins who have been mistakenly left at his doorstep (2011)
- The Smurfs- When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours – in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park (2011)
We are excited to announce the official Roku iPhone app for the iPhone and other iOS devices. Android users, stay tuned!
Inspired by user feedback, our new iPhone app transforms your iOS device into the most powerful Roku remote ever! Launch channels, manage your line up, and browse through the Channel Store with ease, all with the swipe of a finger.
Here are more awesome features that make the Roku iPhone app a must-have:
- Launch or rate any channel with a tap of your finger
- Simple touch-and-swipe-based remote, including buttons not available on some Roku player remotes
- Easily browse hundreds of channels in the Roku Channel Store
- Quickly add and remove channels to/from your Roku player
- Control and switch between multiple Roku players
- Works with all generation Roku players
- Did we mention how cool it is to control your Roku from your phone?
Finally, if you have a Roku 2 or Roku LT player, you must have Roku software version 4.2. To check which version you are running, go to Settings > Software update on your player. Original Roku players received the necessary update as part of Roku software version 3.1.
Click here to learn more about the features of the Roku iPhone app. To learn how to install and begin using the the app, click here.
Let us know what you think by writing me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment here.
We try hard to keep making Roku players better and better for our customers through regular software updates. Our original player only supported Netflix, and now those same players have well over 300 channels. Another aspect of our upgrade philosophy is to provide frequent, steady improvements, as opposed to large yearly upgrades.
Today, we are releasing a software update to Roku 2 and Roku LT players—version 4.2, build 1006—that continues the evolution of the Roku platform.
In this release, we focused on several improvements and enhancements:
- Support for more games – Added improvements to the 3D game experience on Roku 2. The first games to take advantages of these improvements—Downhill Bowling 2, Castle Warriors and Frisbee Forever—will be available in the Roku Channel Store shortly and are designed to work with the Game Remote.
- Mobile support – Added enhancements to support an official Roku iPhone app that will be in the iTunes App Store soon. Followed by Android for our non-iOS loving friends.
- MKV playback support – If you have a Roku 2 XS, you can use the USB Media Player channel to play MKV movie files from USB drives. Also, MP4 video playback has improved.
- Improved Wi-Fi performance – Added optimizations to enhance streaming quality and reliability over Wi-Fi in Roku 2 players.
- Improved Bluetooth Game Remote battery performance – Prolonged the battery life of the Roku Game Remote when it is used in conjunction with Wi-Fi networking on the player.
- Improved Game Remote responsiveness – Improved wakeup responsiveness of Roku Game Remove over Bluetooth for quicker actions during video playback.
- Improved audio performance – Fixed the cause of intermittent audio dropouts with some stereo receivers.
- Shop Roku Deals in the Roku Channel Store – Recently we added the ability to purchase Roku players within the Roku Channel Store; now you can bundle accessories with your purchase too, like an HDMI cable.
The Roku software update will be pushed automatically to all Roku 2 and Roku LT players over the next 48 hours. If you can’t wait, select Settings > Software update > Check now from your Roku player.
Send your ideas to improve the Roku player to the product team at email@example.com.
Information on what we fixed in the previous 4.1 release can be found here.
Is it me or did this week just fly by? Time to take a break me thinks and we’ve got a nice lineup to help make your weekend better. As always, if you have a suggestion on the perfect lazy Sunday flick, please post ‘em in the comments. Happy streaming!
Netflix New Releases:
- Waiting for Superman- A dynamic documentary that sheds light on the failing public school system and its consequences on the future of the U.S. (2010)
- How Beer Saved the World- Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped shape the world we know (2011)
- Apocalypse Now- Possibly Coppola’s greatest work. Based on Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, this classic follows Captain Willard on a hunt for the insane Col. Kurtz (1979)
Hulu Plus New Releases:
- Fifth Gear- A car show presented by petrolheads, for petrolheads (2011)
- America’s Funniest Home Videos- Somehow Christmas and falling on camera just seem to go together… (2011)
- Raising Hope- Jimmy seeks revenge on an old high school bully (2011)
Crackle New Releases:
- Southland Tales- Richard Kelly’s impenetrably bizarre and misunderstood conspiracy theory follow-up to his visionary debut Donnie Darko (2007)
- The Patriot- A sweeping, pugnacious Revolutionary War epic steeped in historical realism, gritty bloodshed and patriotic pride (2000)
- Limbo- More proof that very few filmmakers create characters as engrossing, nuanced and believable as John Sayles does (1999)
Amazon Instant Video New Releases:
- The Help- A timeless story about the ability to create change. Stars Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer (2011)
- Cowboys & Aliens- From the director of Iron Man and starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, an unlikely posse rises against a force from beyond this world in an epic showdown for survival (2011)
- The Hangover Part II- Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug travel to exotic Thailand for Stu’s wedding. What happens in Vegas may stay in Vegas, but what happens in Bangkok can’t even be imagined (2011)
Every year we like to wrap up fun holiday entertainment and deliver it in the Roku Holiday Channel. This year is no different—even the ever popular Yule Log is back, this time in HD! Have yourself a merry little Roku and enjoy our gift this season.
Here’s what you’ll get when you add the Holiday Channel to your Roku player.
- Disney.com — Fun animated video shorts to get the whole family in the holiday spirit
- AOL HD — Bring the holidays home with simple decorating, wrapping and cooking tips
- CHOW— Helpful how-to’s for effortless holiday entertaining
- CNET— Tech the halls with the latest and greatest holiday gadgets
- TuneIn Radio — Set a festive mood with your favorite holiday music
- Yule Log — Cozy up to a crackling HD fire
You can find the Roku Holiday Channel in the Channel Store or add it here. Happy Streaming Holidays!
If you’re an avid Roku streamer you may have already spotted the iconic peacock in the Channel Store. NBC News, our latest news channel, provides content from some of the nation’s top news programs, on demand.
When you add the NBC News channel to your Roku player, you’ll get instant access to the latest segments from NBC News programs including “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams,” America’s number one evening newscast; “TODAY,” America’s number one morning program; and “Meet the Press,” America’s number one Sunday public affairs program; plus the latest clips from “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “Morning Joe.”
Find it in the Channel Store, or add NBC News to your Roku here.
*Update: All, I want to thank you for your feedback. We take your concerns and questions seriously. We hear you loud and clear and we’re actively working with NBC to address your comments.