As you prepare for the extra streaming time you’ll have over the holidays, there’s lots of new channels to check out. You didn’t think we’d leave you for the holidays without something new to stream, did you?
The U.S. Roku Channel Store just surpassed 2,000 channels! The choice and breadth of our streaming channels is unmatched. If you haven’t take the time to browse through the Channel Store in a while I encourage you to do so. With over 200,000 movies and TV episodes, plus music, news and weather, sports, kids and family, fitness, international and more, there’s no doubt you’ll find something to fulfill your streaming heart’s desire. With that said, here are a handful of new streaming channels we launched this week:
This week we just had to do a Christmas special for you! There is so much festive content on Roku it’s hard to know where to start but here is our pick of the best Christmas entertainment that you can start streaming now…
Let us know what you watch this Christmas in the comments box below!
- Home Alone – Voted the nation’s favourite Christmas film in our recent survey, we just had to include this Macaulay Culkin comedy in our round-up! A young scamp is left behind when his family go on holiday. Easy pickings for sneaky burglars Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern, or so they think. Unfortunately for them, the kid is smarter than they’ll ever be. John Candy pitches in as a jazz musician who helps to reunite frantic mum Catherine O’Hara with her little boy. Catch both Home Alone and Home Alone 2 on Sky Store now.
‘Tis the season of giving – and we’re giving you what we know you love most – more movies and TV shows. We’re happy to announce that FXNOW is available today on Roku players and Roku TV in the U.S. In addition, the channel has been added to Roku Search, which will now include FXNOW shows and movies. Roku Search shows you which of many top streaming channels have the content you’re searching for in one place, letting you choose to watch the streaming channel that’s best for you.
FXNOW offers on-demand access to the biggest and best lineup of critically acclaimed dramas, hit comedies and blockbuster movies from three networks: FX, FXX and FXM. TV lovers can watch the latest episodes of Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, The League and much more. New episodes of FX and FXX original series are available next day – just in time for the new seasons of Justified, Archer and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia coming in January.
Great news for streamers in Germany! Back in October, we announced a partnership with Sky Deutschland to bring the Roku streaming platform to the Sky Online TV Box through our *Roku Powered™ program.
We’re pleased to announce, the Sky Online TV Box is available today with a special offer for new and existing Sky Online and Snap customers in Germany. It enables Sky Online and Snap customers to stream their entertainment of choice in a fast and easy way to their TV.
The folks over at PC Mag compiled their ultimate holiday shopping list including the very best products they’ve reviewed this year. We are thrilled to share that the TCL Roku TV made the list, dubbed the “Best Budget HDTV of 2014.”
“The TCL 48FS4610R offers 48 inches of LED-backlit 1080p picture combined with a plethora of online services and apps through the Roku Channel Store, thanks to Roku’s media hub interface built directly into the screen itself. All of that, plus relatively accurate colors, can be found for under $500.” Continue reading or take a peek at their in-depth review on pcmag.com.
The holidays are nearly here, and if you’re like me, you’re already planning which movies and TV shows to catch up on with the extra time off at home. The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire from HBO and Homeland and The Affair from SHOWTIME®, to name a few, are on my stream list. Needless to say, the HBO GO and SHOWTIME ANYTIME® channels stream some of my favorite TV shows.
Just in time for the extra holiday streaming time, we’re pleased to announce Comcast has been added to the list of participating television providers that support HBO GO and SHOWTIME ANYTIME on your Roku device. We are glad to be able to bring this long-awaited feature to Xfinity TV customers.
Whether you’re a super streamer or new to the Roku family, there’s always something new to discover from our more than 1,800 streaming channels available on the Roku platform. From movies and TV episodes to cooking and fitness channels, there are so many hidden gems discover in the Roku Channel Store. And that’s where our new Roku Recommends channel in the U.S. comes in! Each week, we’re thrilled to bring you Roku Recommends, a Roku-produced channel. Our host, Ellen Fox, will share a look at the latest and greatest streaming channels, movies, TV shows, games, Roku tips and more. We know you’ll love Ellen. She’s a huge TV and movie buff – you might recognize her from The Rotten Tomatoes Show, Wizard Wars on SyFy, Eye Opener TV, among other things.
We’re kicking off our first Roku Recommends episode with the Holidays in mind – we’ll cover the Christmas movies (you voted as your favorites in our @rokuplayer Twitter poll), holiday music essentials, tips for using the Roku mobile app and more.
This week’s selection…Dead Shows. Paradise waits for all of you Deadheads out there. This new (free) channel is built to last by tapping into all of the Grateful Dead’s live recordings (audio only) that are posted on archive.org – from their early beginning in 1965, the music never stopped until their final show in the summer of 1995. If you, or anyone else you know, is a fan of the Dead, your life will be sweeter for this channel. Whether you are from Tennessee, Cucamonga, El Paso, or anywhere else, you’ll have such a good time listening to your favorite Dead eras. All of the concerts are sorted chronologically so you just gotta poke around, hit OK, and listen to the music play. After spending some time wondering what to choose, I easily found the recording for my first show from the Fall ’87 tour in Providence, RI. Check it out…if you want to dance and shake your bones.
Anyone who can name the song references mentioned above gets a virtual Deadhead high-five! Leave your guesses in the comments.
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! With only twelve days to go, can you squeeze in all these must-see holiday classics?
Use Roku Search to find the family friendly movies below (click here for the adult picks) or head over to the channel denoted directly from your Roku device. If you don’t have one of these channels, add them from the “Movies and TV” section of the Channel Store.
Between the series finale of Sons of Anarchy, the season 1 finale of Gracepoint and new release of Golden Globe-nominated Boyhood, there’s no doubt your weekend is planned. Just in case, we included plenty of other options too!
- Sons of Anarchy Season 7 (TV Show, 2014) – Sons of Anarchy is an adrenalized drama with darkly comedic undertones that explores a notorious outlaw motorcycle club’s (MC) desire to protect its livelihood while ensuring that their simple, sheltered town of Charming, California remains exactly that, Charming. Available to stream on Amazon Instant Video and Vudu. Seasons 1 – 6 available on Hulu Plus, M-GO and Netflix.
- Gracepoint (TV Show, 2014) – When a young boy is found dead on an idyllic beach, a major police investigation gets underway in the small California seaside town where the tragedy occurred. Soon deemed a homicide, the case sparks a media frenzy, which throws the boy’s family into further turmoil and upends the lives of all of the town’s residents. Available to stream on Amazon Instant Video, FOX NOW, Hulu Plus and Vudu.
- Boyhood (Movie, 2014) – A youngster makes the long journey to adulthood over the span of 12 years, as he, his sister and his mother move around Texas. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and Vudu.
- I Am Ali (Movie, 2014) – Muhammad Ali’s own audio journals, friends, family and fellow boxers provide insight into the extraordinary life and legendary career of the pugilist. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster On Demand, M-GO, Netflix and Vudu.
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Movie, 2013) – Ron Burgundy tries to stay classy when he and his team take New York and the nation’s first 24-hour global cable news network by storm. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO and Netflix.
- American Horror Story: Coven (TV Show, 2013) – Fiona Goode comes back into town to help protect the coven. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, M-GO, Netflix and Vudu.
- Sharknado 2: The Second One (TV Movie, 2014) – A freak weather system brings in ravenous sharks to munch on hapless New Yorkers and iconic landmarks. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video and Netflix.
- Almost Famous (Movie, 2000) – An aspiring teenage rock journalist gets his big break when he follows an up-and-coming band on its tour. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO, Netflix and Vudu.
- Batman Forever (Movie, 1995) – The Caped Crusader woos a criminal psychologist, takes on a sidekick and battles Two-Face and the Riddler. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster On Demand, M-GO, Netflix and Vudu.
- Out of Time (Movie, 2003) – Considered a suspect in a deadly arson, a police chief must cover his tracks while trying to prove his innocence. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and Vudu.