If like me you were out and about last weekend making the most of the extended bank holiday break and unusually nice weather, make this weekend more relaxing. Catch up on your favourite programmes or watch one of this week’s new movies available on Roku. Here are my recommendations to get you started.
What are you watching?
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Movie) - Ben Stiller makes a return to the director’s chair for this comedy-drama. Stiller plays the titular Mitty, a repressed, lonely soul whose life lacks even the smallest modicum of action. But with his job under threat, Walter has a chance to not only redeem himself, but change for the better too. Available on Sky Store.
- Captain Phillips (Movie) – HALF PRICE! A must see, Tom Hanks takes the titular helm of this maritime thriller based on a true story. An American cargo ship is seized by Somali pirates, as the military rescue is mobilised, Captain Richard Phillips and his crew must endure a terrifying ordeal at the hands of the volatile hijackers. Available for half price this weekend on Sky Store.
- Eastenders (Series) – Last weekend saw the murder of Lucy Beale – the start of a long-running ‘who done it’ – with some of the soaps biggest characters in the frame. The storyline is set to run until next year so if you want to keep up, make sure you catch up now on BBC iPlayer.
- Derek (Series) – A year after the events of the first series, all the old Broadhill faces are back, alongside some new ones. The bittersweet comedy by Ricky Gervais is back for its second series with the first episode now on 4oD. If you missed the first series, you can catch this first on Netflix.
- Game of Thrones (Series) – Sky Atlantic’s epic tale of lust, treachery, and bloodshed follows seven noble families as they fight for control of the kingdom of Westeros, and as the land becomes consumed by political intrigue, dark forces begin to stir beyond the Great Wall in the North. Catch up on season four this weekend on Now TV.
- Louis Theroux’s Weird Weekends (Documentary) – Want to see an insight in to how other people spend their weekends. Louis gives viewers a chance to get glimpses of things they wouldn’t normally see by diving into obscure or marginalized subcultures. Available now on Netflix.
- After the Fall (Movie) – This 2010 film shows the life changing trip of a woman who finds previously unknown hidden reserves of strength when a terrible horse riding accident leaves her paralysed. Watch for free on Demand 5.
- Despicable Me 2 (Movie) – Available from today on Now TV, get ready for more Minion madness! Chris Meledandri and his acclaimed filmmaking team create an all-new comedy adventure featuring the return of (former?) super-villain Gru (Steve Carell), his adorable girls, the unpredictably hilarious Minions…and a host of new and outrageously funny characters.
- The Lone Ranger (Movie) - From the team behind Pirates of the Caribbean, The Social Network’s Armie Hammer grabs the reins as the likable lead and Johnny Depp manages to exorcise the ghost of Jack Sparrow for a surprisingly heartfelt turn as native sidekick Tonto. Available now on Now TV.
A Golden Oldie:
- The Shawshank Redemption (Movie) – Framed for murder, upstanding banker Andy Dufresne begins a new life at the Shawshank prison and gradually forms a close bond with older inmate Red. Catch this classic on Netflix now.