There’s some great new content available to stream on your Roku streaming player. To help you keep on top of all the best TV shows and movies we’ve pulled together some of the highlights worth catching up with.
From Britain’s Got Talent to The Theory of Everything, here’s our guide to this week’s essential viewing…
- The Returned (Series) – Based on Fabrice Gobert’s French series, The Returned follows a town whose residents have their lives turned upside-down when their loved ones start to return from the dead. The American remake is currently in its first season, with the latest episodes available to stream on Netflix now.
- The Theory of Everything (Movie) – Eddie Redmayne delivers a stunning Oscar-winning portrayal of world-acclaimed physicist Stephen Hawking in this account of the relationship between Hawking, stricken with motor neurone disease while studying at Cambridge, and his wife Jane, played by Felicity Jones. Director James Marsh follows his acclaimed documentary Man On Wire with this handsome and respectful biopic. Catch it on Sky Store now.
- Made in Chelsea (Series) – This reality television series, which follows the lives of a group of rich young adults living in London, has recently returned for its ninth series. Catch up with their daily dramas, relationships, gossip and lavish holidays on All 4 now.
- Birdman (Movie) – Michael Keaton joins Emma Stone, Edward Norton, Zach Galifianakis and Naomi Watts in this riveting story about fame, fantasy and second chances. When a former superhero film star (Keaton) sets out to make a comeback on Broadway, he grapples with self-doubt, harsh critics, and his estranged daughter (Stone) in this imaginative, wickedly funny film from writer/director Alejandro González Iñárritu. Watch it on Google Play.
- Peter Kay’s Car Share (Series) – Comedian Peter Kay is back with this laugh-out-loud series. When a supermarket issues a new car share scheme, John and Kayleigh are forced to commute together each day. Will they get along and how long for? Catch up now on BBC iPlayer.
- The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (Movie) – This epic conclusion to the adventure of Bilbo Baggins, sees the hobbit joins the Wizard Gandalf, Thorin Oakenshield and his company of Dwarves, in the final stage of their quest. You can rent or buy it now from the Sainsbury’s Entertainment Channel.
- Britain’s Got Talent (Series) – With the ninth series now in full swing, Britain’s Got Talent always proves to be a talking point. With everything from dancers and singers to impressionists and musical dogs, make sure you keep up-to-date with the latest hopefuls looking to impress judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden, Alesha Dixon and David Walliams, on ITV Player.
- Gotham (Series) – This captivating series tells the story behind Commissioner James Gordon’s rise to prominence in Gotham City in the years before Batman’s arrival. A must for all Batman fans, you can follow the first series on Five on Demand now.
Gamers (and videogame spectators!), clear your calendars because your streaming plans have been made tonight. Twitch, the world’s leading social video platform and community for gamers is now available for free on Roku players in the U.S., Canada, U.K., and Republic of Ireland and Roku TV models in the U.S. and Canada.
With the Twitch channel, you can watch the most popular broadcasts of the day, browse live broadcasts by the games you love and follow your favorite Twitch broadcasters. At any given time you’ll find hundreds of live broadcasts from popular games including League of Legends, Counter Strike, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Minecraft and many others.
There are always fun events and entertaining tournaments on the Twitch channel too. Here are a few to look out for this month!
You can find Twitch under “Web Video” in the Roku Channel Store now on Roku players and Roku TV models.
If you are a seasoned traveler, or someone with a serious case of wanderlust, you are going to love PTA on your Roku player. No, the Parent Teacher Association doesn’t have a streaming channel yet. I am talking about the new PlanesTrains + Automobiles channel. PTA is dedicated to travel and culture documentaries that highlight the hidden gems all around our country. It is a beautifully designed channel and they’ve loaded it with several original series – each with a distinctive voice and travel theme. My favorite is Day Off. In this series, photographer Noah Adams visits with local artists in their home town that share what makes their city so great. You can find this free channel in the “Travel” category in the Roku Channel Store or by searching for it on the free Roku mobile app. Check it out…and get inspired to discover your next destination.
Feeling lucky? We’re giving you a chance to win the new Roku 3 with voice search! So what are you waiting for? Hurry, it ends May 15 at 5pm PT.
U.S. residents can enter daily for a chance to win here and our friends in Canada can enter here.
We hope you win!
Last year we brought you our top 10 list for the best TV moms, so this year we thought we’d remind you how lucky you are. These are the top 10 TV moms we just love to hate.
Now go ahead and review this list then give your mom a call. She is pretty awesome, isn’t she?!
#10 Lucille Bluth
While she’s hilarious to watch on TV, a mother who drinks non-stop and is incapable of saying anything remotely nice, is not who you want to call mom.
Arrested Development is available on Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, M-GO, Netflix and VUDU.
#9 Nancy Botwin
“My mom’s my hero. She sells weed in the neighborhood.” – Said no one ever.
Weeds is available on Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, SHOWTIME ANYTIME and VUDU.
#8 Carrie Mathison
When Carrie is actually home with her daughter she’s absolutely clueless. Remember when she put the carseat in the front seat or the terrifying bathtub scene? Yikes.
Homeland is available on Amazon Instant Video, M-GO, SHOWTIME ANYTIME and VUDU.
Most parents will be familiar with the constant battle to keep children entertained.
But thanks to its wide selection of content, with everything from educational shows to the best of kids’ TV, the Roku Channel Store has what you need to combat the ‘I’m bored, what can I do now?’ question!
Children’s TV On Demand
Is your child a Peppa Pig fan? Or a Thunderbirds fanatic? Thanks to the catch-up TV services available in the Roku Channel Store you can stream the latest episodes at a time that suits. BBC iPlayer has all the latest Cbeebies offerings from Bing to In the Night Garden, while you can catch up with CITV’s shows, from Adventure Time to Max Steel, on ITV Player. Demand 5 also has a great range of kids’ shows available to stream, including the popular Peppa Pig.
There’s a number of channels available, which are dedicated to supporting parents with babies. From Baby, which provides videos, lullabies and content to keep babies entertained, to the BabyFirst Channel, which has a range of educational nursery rhymes and fun vocabulary videos, there’s plenty of relaxing and engaging content on offer.
The wait is over, streamers! The new search and discovery features we announced last month in the U.S. and Canada, including the Roku Feed and voice search are now available through the Roku mobile app for Android and iOS (version 3.2.0 or later) on current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models. The Roku mobile app for Windows Phone will be updated with these features at a later date.
The Roku Feed
The Roku Feed lets you follow entertainment you want to watch. Movies Coming Soon displays movies that are still in theaters or too new to be available on top Roku streaming channels such as Amazon Instant Video or VUDU. When a movie you’re following is available for streaming or decreases in price, you’ll receive an automatic update in the My Feed section on your Roku home screen and Roku mobile app for Android or iOS.
Here’s how you get started on your smartphone or tablet (learn more about using this feature on your Roku player or Roku TV model here).
Select “My Feed” from the main menu.
Watch the “What is My Feed?” video to learn more about this feature or click on “Movies Coming Soon” to start browsing titles.
Note: you will need to log into your Roku.com account to start following titles from your mobile device.
See a movie you’re interested in? Tap the “follow” box. You can follow as many titles as you like.
Today we’re pleased to announce the expansion of our Roku TV program with the addition of Sharp as a Roku TV partner. Sharp delivers excellent picture quality and is known for producing great TVs. The Sharp Roku TV models represent a new generation of smart TVs that are built using the Roku TV reference design and feature the Roku operating system (Roku OS). Roku TV offers one of the most simple, comprehensive smart TV experiences on the market and the new Sharp Roku TVs provide this experience at a great value.
Sharp Roku TV models feature 1080p Full HD resolution and a 60hz native refresh rate and will soon be available for purchase exclusively at Best Buy stores as well as at BestBuy.com. The 43” LED Sharp Roku TV and the 50” LED Sharp Roku TV will be available for $379.99 and $499.99, respectively.
Sharp Roku TV models will also be available at Best Buy stores in Canada. Visit BestBuy.ca for more information and pricing.
Similar to Roku TV models from our other partners, the new Sharp Roku TV models have received the Netflix Recommended TV designation indicating they offer easy access to Internet TV services, faster performance, and new features that enable a next-generation smart TV experience.
Insignia Roku TV
And we have even more great Roku TV news. Back at CES we announced that Insignia Roku TV models would soon be available for purchase and today we’re happy to share that Insignia Roku TV models will be available this month at Best Buy stores and BestBuy.com.
Insignia Roku TV models feature LED screens and 1080p Full HD, as well as 60Hz refresh rates. The 32” Insignia Roku TV and the 55” Insignia Roku TV will be available for $229.99 and $549.99, respectively. These Roku TV models are also designated under the Netflix Recommended TV program.
Insignia Roku TVs will also be available at Best Buy stores in Canada. Visit BestBuy.ca for more information and pricing.
See why you’ll love Roku TV.
I have good news for all of you armchair adrenaline junkies – Red Bull just launched their own Roku channel. So now you can get the thrill of extreme sports without leaving your living room. The Red Bull TV channel on your Roku player delivers heart-pounding live sports, music, and lifestyle programming. One of my favorite high-octane shows is This and Nothing Else – a series based on surfers who pursue the biggest waves on earth. This is a free channel and you can find Red Bull TV in the Lifestyle category in the Roku Channel Store, or using Roku Search. Check it out…if you want to see some epic action.
April showers bring May movies…is that the saying? Catch up on The Avengers or finally stream Fifty Shades of Grey in the privacy of your own home. We won’t tell 😉
What are you streaming this weekend?
- Penny Dreadful (TV Show, 2015) – A saga filled with dark mystery and suspense. It lives in a demimonde—a half world between reality and the supernatural – where personal demons from the past can be stronger than vampires, evil spirits and immortal beasts. Catch up on previous seasons and the season 2 premiere this Sunday (5/3) at 10pm on SHOWTIME ANYTIME.
- Marvel’s The Avengers (Movie, 2012) – S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Nick Fury recruits a team of superheroes to pull the world back from the brink of disaster when an unexpected enemy threatens global security. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Fifty Shades of Grey (Movie, 2015) – The worldwide phenomenon comes to life. Ana is an inexperienced college student tasked with interviewing enigmatic billionaire Christian Grey. But what starts as a business quickly becomes an unconventional romance. Available for purchase on Amazon Instant Video and Vudu.
- Still Alice (Movie, 2014) – A vibrant and accomplished college professor disappears in front of her friends, family and herself as Alzheimer’s disease slowly destroys her mind. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Like Sunday, Like Rain (Movie, 2014) – A struggling musician becomes a 12-year-old musical prodigy’s guardian for a summer. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video and M-GO.
- The Gambler (Movie, 2014) – A literature professor with gambling debts borrows money from a mobster and offers his life as collateral while immersing himself in an illicit, underground world. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.
- Legally Blonde (Movie, 2001) – A sorority queen enrolls in Harvard to prove her former boyfriend that she has more than good looks. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, Netflix and Vudu.
- Underclassman (Movie, 2005) – A rookie policeman works under cover at a prep school to investigate the mysterious death of a student. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and Vudu.
- National Treasure (Movie, 2004) – An adventurer must steal the Declaration of Independence and use its hidden map to find a legendary fortune. Available to find on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, Netflix and Vudu.
- Dinner for Schmucks (Movie, 2010) – Comic misadventures follow when a rising executive brings a blundering IRS agent to a monthly gathering hosted by his boss. Available to watch on Amazon Instant Video, CinemaNow, M-GO and Vudu.