Happy 4th of July weekend, streamers. Join us as we celebrate ‘Merica through the best patriotic movies, which just so happen to include a lot of Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks!
Did we miss any of your favorites?
- Top Gun (Movie, 1986) – A daring yet reckless pilot (Tom Cruise) who shuns teamwork and the rules of engagement eventually learns the importance of cooperation and discipline. Along the way he has a fiery affair, does some spectacular flying and causes the death of his best friend. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant, Vudu and Time Warner Cable.
- Independence Day (Movie, 1996) – Communications systems worldwide are sent into chaos by a strange atmospheric interference caused by gigantic spacecraft, piloted by a mysterious alien species who have set out to launch an attack throughout the globe. After they obliterate parts of the country, a band of survivors devise a plan to fight back against the enslaving aliens for our freedom. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu and Time Warner Cable.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (Movie, 2011) – After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America’s ideals. He joins forces with Bucky Barnes and Peggy Carter to wage war on the evil HYDRA organization, led by the villainous Red Skull. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- The Patriot (Movie, 2000) – A reluctant South Carolina farmer (Mel Gibson) is forced to fight the British in this epic adventure of the American Revolution. Directed by Roland Emmerich (Independence Day). Screenplay by Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan). Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- Saving Private Ryan (Movie, 1998) – Set in France in 1944 shortly after the Normandy invasion. The story concerns a squad of U.S. Army soldiers on a perilous assignment behind enemy lines. The mission: to risk their lives to save the life of one man, paratrooper James Ryan (Matt Damon). Ryan is the last survivor of a family of four brothers, the rest of whom have been killed in action. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- Apollo 13 (Movie, 1995) – It had been less than a year since man first walked on the moon, but as far as the American public was concerned, Apollo 13 was just another “routine” space flight – until these words pierced the immense void of space: “Houston, we have a problem.” Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster on Demand, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- Miracle (Movie, 2004) – Filled with exhilarating nonstop hockey action and heart-racing suspense, Miracle is the inspiring true story behind one of the greatest moments in sports history – the 1980 United States ice hockey team’s triumphant Olympic victory against the Soviet Union. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video and Vudu.
- Forrest Gump (Movie, 1994) – In this Oscar-winning picture, Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), a gentle soul born in a small Alabama town, happens into one memorable experience after another through a panorama of American history. Throughout his life, he is supported by his love for Jenny, his childhood friend with whom he shares his lifelong memories. Available on M-GO, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- Born on the Fourth of July (Movie, 1986) – Based on a true story, the film follows the young Kovic (Tom Cruise) from a zealous teen who eagerly volunteers for the Vietnam War, to an embittered veteran paralyzed from the mid-chest down. Deeply in love with his country, Kovic returned to an environment vastly different from the one he left. Available on M-GO, Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster on Demand, Redbox Instant and Vudu.
- Yankee Doodle Dandy (Movie, 1942) – James Cagney danced and sang his way to a well-deserved Oscar for his outstanding portrayal of vaudeville composer and performer George M. Cohan in this Oscar-nominated biography. Available on Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant and Vudu.