April 11, 2017
Today we’re announcing Roku OS 7.6, an update to our operating system that will roll out to all current-generation Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models over the next few weeks. With a focus on updates to Roku TV, Roku OS 7.6 introduces new features and fixes that make finding and watching the entertainment you love fast and convenient.
* Note: Some updates and/or bug fixes only apply to specific Roku devices. In those instances, supported devices are indicated in the release notes.
** Note: Roku OS 7.6 will begin to roll out to select Roku streaming players starting today and is expected to be available on all supported Roku streaming players and Roku TV models before June. A full list of supported devices is included below.
Key Roku OS 7.6 Features:
- More Ways to Watch for Roku TVs (U.S. only) – This feature provides an enhanced viewing experience based on what you watch on devices connected to your HD or Full HD Roku TV via HDMI inputs such as cable or satellite boxes, and/or connected over-the-air broadcast antennas. You’ll be required to enable the feature via an opt-in prompt on your Roku TV once the feature is available or when setting up a new Roku TV. More Ways to Watch can recognize the show or movie you’re watching on these boxes and antennas using Automatic Content Recognition (ACR) technology and suggest additional viewing options via streaming to enhance your experience. Additional viewing options may include the ability to watch from the beginning, watch more episodes of the same show and/or view suggestions for similar entertainment available to stream.
More Ways to Watch can be turned on or off at any time in the Roku TV settings menu. If you choose to turn off More Ways to Watch after it was first enabled, viewing information collected prior to the feature being turned off will not be deleted.
*Note – More Ways to Watch will be available for existing 4K Roku TV models in the next few months.
- Closed caption on replay for Roku TVs – Roku OS 7.6 helps make sure you never miss what was said by expanding our closed caption on replay feature to include Live TV Pause on Roku TVs. When this setting is enabled, simply press the replay or left button on your Roku remote to go back a few moments in the movie or show you’re watching to view closed captions, if available, for dialog you may have missed. Closed captions will appear on the screen until you reach the original point you were watching in the movie or show. You can turn this feature on or off within the Closed Caption settings menu. Additionally, when the setting is enabled on your Roku TV or Roku player, closed captions will now appear on the screen while content is paused.
- Updates to Live TV Pause for Roku TVs – When using the Live TV Pause feature on your Roku TV, you’ll now see thumbnail images displayed on the screen while pausing, rewinding, or fast forwarding to make it easier to identify where you are in the movie or show to resume playing at the moment you want to watch.
- Favorite channels list for Roku TV tuner – You can now create a list of your favorite broadcast channels when you have a broadcast antenna connected to your Roku TV. To create your own favorite channels list, simply press the left button when watching over-the-air television on your Roku TV to bring up the list of available channels. Press the options button “*” on your Roku TV remote to add individual channels to your favorites list. Once created, the favorites list will allow you to browse only the tuner channels you’ve added to that list. You can switch back to the all-channels list to view all available tuner channels at any time.
- Custom input naming for Roku TVs – Roku OS 7.6 introduces the ability to assign custom names to your Roku TV inputs. To name an input, just highlight the input tile on your Roku TV home screen and press the options button “*” on your Roku TV remote. Scroll through the list of pre-populated input names until you reach “set custom name and icon” and press OK. Now you can enter any name you’d like (up to 15 characters) for the input device for easier identification of your Roku TV inputs.
- Faster resume from standby for select Roku TV models – HD and Full HD Roku TV models will now resume from standby mode a few seconds faster than before the Roku OS 7.6 update so you can get to the entertainment you love more quickly.
Additional Roku OS 7.6 Updates and Bug Fixes
- Roku 4 streaming player now supports our mobile Private Listening feature.
- If you press a channel shortcut button on the bottom of the Roku remote while streaming content, you will now receive an onscreen prompt asking you to confirm that you want to exit the current channel. This helps prevent accidental presses of a shortcut button from immediately exiting the channel you’re watching.
- Fixed bug in which the Options and/or Back buttons would intermittently stop working after loading some channels.
- Fixed an issue that caused slower boot-up times in some Roku TV models.
- Fixed bugs in which Audio Guide on some Roku TV models would not properly convert text to speech in a small number of instances.
- Resolved issue that prevented some Roku TV models from supporting Screen Mirroring feature.
- Resolved issue that prevented some Roku TV models from supporting Hotel & Dorm Connect feature.
- Addressed a number of bugs related to specific streaming channels to improve channel performance and reduce channel crashes.
Supported Roku Devices:
- Roku Streaming Players – 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4400X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X, 3500X, 3420X, 3400X, 3100X, 3050X, 3000X, 2720X, 2710X, 2700X, 2500X, 2450X, 2400X
- Roku TV – All Roku TV models will run Roku OS 7.6
* Note: Streaming channel developers, content partners, advertisers and anyone who would like information related to SDK updates and additional improvements within Roku OS 7.6 can find more info on the Roku Developer Blog or in our SDK documentation.